Heading south? Here’s what to see and do! (Part 2)
Sep 8, 2022
Have you started planning your summer trips yet? Whether visiting whānau or simply taking some time out to explore, we’d highly recommend these top spots in the South Island:
RoomMate Cabins’ top picks in Mid and South Canterbury and North Otago
- Rakaia Gorge Walkway – this relatively easy track which leads to a lookout point should take 3-4 hours return via the same track.
- Rangitata Rafts are sure to get your blood pumping! Set on what can only be describes as New Zealand’s most exciting and scenic stretches of white water.
- Why not head down to Ashburton and explore the domains, museums, and gardens. There’s something for everyone.
- Take a trip to Omaru to view the Moeraki Boulders, best visited at low tide.
- While in Omaru, take a drive at dusk to see little blue penguin colony coming ashore.
- Coronet Peak is great in summer as well as in winter with the gondola working all year round!
RoomMate Cabins’ top picks in Otago
- Queenstown! Show off your adventurous side with some skiing, boat cruising or even bungy jumping at the Kawarau Bridge Bungy… before exploring the various food and wine options available.
- Explore Larnach Castle & Gardens and discover New Zealand’s only castle, built in 1871.
- Visit one (or many!) of the celebrated wine estates in the region.
RoomMate Cabins’ top picks in Southland
- Nugget Point and Caitlin’s Coast are must-sees if you enjoy coastal walks, waterfalls and hidden lakes.
- Just a short boat ride away, Steward Island boasts New Zealand’s most diverse bird population in their natural protected habitat, as well as several walking tracks.
- Want a taste of the south? Savor the flavour of Bluff Oysters, slowly grown in the pristine waters of the Foveaux Straight.
With these and many other destinations to explore, why not add these South Island locations to your summer travel list? You might even find a few of our portable cabins along the way!
South Island RoomMate Cabins
We have RoomMate Cabins suppliers in all these regions, should you find yourself sticking around for a longer period. Our portable cabins, available for rent, are the perfect solution to adding some extra space at your place – whether it be for accommodation, a home office, a studio space – the options are endless!
Find some of our South Island portable cabin suppliers below, or click here to find your local supplier.