Around the North Island: Things to do and places to see from Manawatu to Wairarapa.
Sep 19, 2022
Thinking about things to do this summer? Forget overseas travel… there is so much to see and so many places to explore in our own backyard!
Whether you’re after ocean activities, outdoor adventures, rugged nature, or wining and dining, New Zealand has it all.
In this blog we look at some of the best things to see and do RoomMate cabins locations around New Zealand, from Manawatu to Wairarapa.
RoomMate Cabins’ top picks in Manawatu
Manaawtū is packed with great scenery, epic driving routes, stunning wildlife, and an array of culture and heritage sites.
- Drive The Country Road, a route that takes you off the main highways through the ‘back roads’, discovering hidden places and tucked-away treasures along the way.
- Head to Palmerston North and visit the New Zealand Rugby Museum home of New Zealand rugby heritage and culture
- Experience The Rangitikei River, home to one of the world’s top half day Grade 5 rafting trips
RoomMate Cabins’ top picks in Tararua
Tararua is off-the-beaten track for many, but there are so many reasons to visit this peaceful and picturesque district.
- Visit the spectacular Waihi Falls, a little-known 25m waterfall that drops into a large swimming hole
- Pop over to Akitio Beach, a beautiful and rugged spot that’s away from the hordes. It’s a great spot for whitebaiting, fishing and swimming
- Take a trek in the Ruahine and Tararua Ranges. There are so many tracks to choose from, both short and long, and for all ages
RoomMate Cabins’ top picks in Kapiti
The Kapiti Coast enjoys a warm climate and relaxed lifestyle, and has many attractions and activities to suit all ages, tastes and budgets. From adrenaline-pumping adventure to a relaxing day out, you need never be bored in the Kapiti Coast.
- Get hands-on with nature at Nga Manu Nature Reserve, a 14ha reserve with a diverse range of native animals and over 700 plant species
- Take in spectacular views of Kāpiti Island from high above the Kāpiti Coastline on one of the region’s finest walking experiences – the Paekakariki Escarpment Track
RoomMate Cabins’ top picks in Ōtaki
Ōtaki is a hidden gem – a place where history, culture, and nature combine.
- Walk or ride the picturesque Ōtaki River, starting from the Ōtaki beachfront and continue past State Highway 1 to the start of the Chrystalls Bend Walkway
- Take a step back in time and visit the Otaki Heritage Bank Museum
RoomMate Cabins’ top picks in Levin
Lovely Levin is a town well worth visiting! Explore the cafes and shops in the town centre, before venturing further afield to find parks, gardens, and outdoor adventures.
- Go for a stroll at Muaupoko Park, a wetland area rich with birdlife, and a great spot to take in the views of Lake Horowhenua
- Take a walk along the easy walking tracks at Lake Waiwiri / Lake Papaitonga
- Enjoy the wines at Ohau Winery, a great place to enjoy the unique wines in the Levin area
RoomMate Cabins’ top picks in Wellington
Known as the world’s ‘coolest little capital’ by Lonely Planet, Wellington is famous for its vibrant creative culture.
- Ride the Wellington Cable Car and take in the panoramic views of the city
- Get up close and personal with nature at Zealandia, a lush forest with over 40 rare species of native wildlife
- Immerse yourself in the stories and treasures of New Zealand at the incredible Te Papa Tongarewa
RoomMate Cabins’ top picks in Wairarapa
An hour’s drive north of Wellington, Wairarapa is famous for its stunning coastlines, spectacular landscapes, and award-winning wine.
- Visit Greytown, a town of Victorian colonial architecture where you’ll find a wide choice of cafés, designer boutiques and quirky local stores
- Explore Martinborough, featuring over 30 wineries and home to some of New Zealand’s best pinot noir
- Pop out to Cape Palliser. Walk through the forest to the Putangirua Pinnacles Scenic Reserve to some of the country’s most unique rock formations. Climb the Cape Palliser Lighthouse and take in the views from the most southern point of the North Island
Portable Cabins across New Zealand’s North Island
With these and many other destinations to explore, why not add these North Island locations to your summer travel list? You might even find a few of our portable cabins along the way!
We have RoomMate Cabins suppliers in all these regions, should you find yourself sticking around for a longer period. Our portable cabins, available for rent, are the perfect solution to adding some extra space at your place – whether it be for accommodation, a home office, a studio space – the options are endless!
Find some of our North Island portable cabin suppliers below, or click here to find your local supplier.